Aircrack-ng forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Aircrack-ng 1.7 release

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Issues with RTL8192CU chipset in Debian 8  (Read 6391 times)

robin24

Issues with RTL8192CU chipset in Debian 8
« on: November 05, 2015, 07:33:29 pm »

Hello all,
I am new to Aircrack-ng and would like to use it on a Raspberry Pi, running Raspbian (a customized version of Debian) version 8. For this purpose, I have compiled Aircrack-ng 1.2 RC2.
I've purchased 2 TP-Link TL-WN823N WiFi adapters, since according to my online research this WiFi adapter (which uses the RTL8192CU chipset) is supposed to work well with Aircrack-ng...
As far as I can tell after some testing, the adapters work well when establishing a normal WiFi connection, but using the Aircrack-ng tools is apparently a different story... first off, I tried launching airmon-ng:

airmon-ng start wlan1
No interfering processes found
PHY   Interface   Driver      Chipset

null   wlan0      rtl8192cu   Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8192CU 802.11n WLAN Adapternull   wlan1      rtl8192cu   Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8192CU 802.11n WLAN Adapter

So far so good... However, listing the available interfaces using ifconfig or ip addr show does not reveal any 'mon' interfaces. ip addr show output for wlan1 currently looks as follows:
4: wlan1: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state DOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/ether c4:e9:84:de:cf:7b brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

I've tried using aireplay-ng to perform the injection test, which gave me the following output:

aireplay-ng -9 wlan1
ioctl(SIOCSIWMODE) failed: Invalid argument

ARP linktype is set to 1 (Ethernet) - expected ARPHRD_IEEE80211,
ARPHRD_IEEE80211_FULL or ARPHRD_IEEE80211_PRISM instead.  Make
sure RFMON is enabled: run 'airmon-ng start wlan1 <#>'
Sysfs injection support was not found either.

So, sadly this does not look promising at all... I've been searching the web for solutions, but couldn't find anything specific to my chipset. A commonly suggested solution was to use the command ifconfig mode monitor, which gave me the following error:
ifconfig mode monitor wlan1
monitor: Unknown host
ifconfig: `--help' gives usage information.

Does anybody here have any more suggestions about what else I could try? Is the chipset of my adapters causing these issues, or is there another problem?
Thanks a lot for any hints!
All the best,
Robin24

misterx

• Aircrack-ng Author
  • Administrator
  • Aircrack-ng Author
    • Aircrack-ng
Re: Issues with RTL8192CU chipset in Debian 8
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 12:52:03 am »

1. If an interface doesn't have a phy (reported as null), it most likely will not support monitor mode.
2. Your ifconfig command is completely wrong: it's 'ifconfig INTERFACE PARAMETERS' and there is no such parameter as 'mode monitor' (it's for iwconfig).

robin24

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 12:48:07 pm »

1. If an interface doesn't have a phy (reported as null), it most likely will not support monitor mode.
OK, makes sense. However, further testing revealed that this appears to be a driver issue rather than a hardware problem. I decided to try my adapter on a system running Debian 8 on AMD64 architecture. First thing I discovered was that the
iwconfig wlan0 mode monitor
command worked fine, and wlan0
is reported to be in monitor mode now:
root@debian:~# iwconfig wlan0
wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  Mode:Monitor  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Tx-Power=20 dBm   
          Retry short limit:7   RTS thr=2347 B   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:on
Also, I now get the following from aireplay-ng:
root@debian:~# aireplay-ng -9 wlan0
16:36:41  Trying broadcast probe requests...
16:36:42  Injection is working!
16:36:43  Found 1 AP

16:36:43  Trying directed probe requests...
16:36:43  E8:BE:81:92:3F:D0 - channel: 1 - 'Bbox-4A45FA48'
16:36:43  Ping (min/avg/max): 1.898ms/9.510ms/76.142ms Power: -97.00
16:36:43  30/30: 100%

Looking at the modules related to the WiFi adapter, there's quite a big difference between the native Debian AMD64 system and the Raspberry Pi running Raspbian. This is what it looks like on the AMD64 system:

rtl8192cu              66216  0
rtl_usb                17592  1 rtl8192cu
rtlwifi                54719  2 rtl_usb,rtl8192cu
rtl8192c_common        40162  1 rtl8192cu
mac80211              474277  3 rtl_usb,rtlwifi,rtl8192cu
usbcore               195340  8 btusb,uhci_hcd,uvcvideo,rtl_usb,ehci_hcd,ehci_pci,usbhid,rtl8192cu

On the Raspi, there is just one single entry:

8192cu                528485  0

Would I be correct to assume based on these findings that Raspbian and native Debian are using different drivers for the RTL8192CU chipset, with the one on Raspbian obviously being more limited than the Debian one? If this is the case, can I somehow replace the Raspbian driver with the Debian one? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but my experience concerning drivers on Linux is rather limited!
2. Your ifconfig command is completely wrong: it's 'ifconfig INTERFACE PARAMETERS' and there is no such parameter as 'mode monitor' (it's for iwconfig).
Yes, you're most definitely right! Sorry for mixing those up, that was completely accidental.
Thanks for any more help!
Robin24

misterx

• Aircrack-ng Author
  • Administrator
  • Aircrack-ng Author
    • Aircrack-ng
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 04:49:34 pm »

Give a try to the latest linux-backports on the RPi, it might work.

robin24

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 05:14:21 pm »

That sounds like a good idea! Sadly, it's much easier said than done... It looks like there's no backports repository for Raspbian. The Debian mirrors contain ArmHV packages, however it looks like they won't work with the Raspi 1's hardware architecture - see https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=58836&p=693226
Since I purchased the WiFi adapters through Amazon, I think at this point I'm gonna return them and go for a different model with a different chipset. I'm not sure which one I'm gonna go for (I think Atheros chipsets are said to perform most reliably), so I'm gonna consult the compatibility list and hopefully make a better decision this time :-)
Thanks a lot for the help!
Robin24

misterx

• Aircrack-ng Author
  • Administrator
  • Aircrack-ng Author
    • Aircrack-ng
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 07:20:03 pm »

There is no repository for linux backports for any distribution AFAIK. You have to download and compile: http://drvbp1.linux-foundation.org/~mcgrof/rel-html/backports/
Pages: [1]   Go Up