Aircrack-ng forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Aircrack-ng 1.7 release

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RT5370  (Read 29138 times)

TheStigh

RT5370
« on: January 03, 2016, 03:01:38 pm »

Hi guys, I've just ordered an USB WiFi link using RT5370 chipset as it is automatically detected in Kali 2.x
Will this by default support monitor and injection, or does it need patching ?

vendforce

Re: RT5370
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 04:44:21 pm »

Just because its recognised doesn't mean it has injection/monitor capabilities
Code: [Select]
sudo aireplay-ng -9 wlan0 # if wlan0 is your device

http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=compatibility_drivers

TheStigh

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 06:48:24 pm »

Just because its recognised doesn't mean it has injection/monitor capabilities
sudo aireplay-ng -9 wlan0 # if wlan0 is your device

http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=compatibility_drivers

That was the intention with my question, if this chipset actually do support it. It arrives in 2-3 days so it would be nice to know.
The comp-drivers document is last revised November 2013, so it might now be fully updated?

I'm sorry to ask, but all this is quite new to me, and I am trying both to search and read up on this issue.

robertkjonesjr

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 07:14:41 pm »

There is a lot of voodoo with wireless chipset support.  Typically the best thing to do is try it for yourself.  Unfortunate, but true.  At least these USB adapters are not very expensive - I have a bag full that do not support these type of network analysis tools. 

I have a:

$ lsusb
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 148f:5370 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT5370 Wireless Adapter

and confirm it goes into monitor mode in Kali2/updated:

$ iwconfig
wlan0mon  IEEE 802.11bgn  Mode:Monitor  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Tx-Power=20 dBm
          Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:off

Further, it has the all-too-unusual ability to support both monitor mode AND promiscuous mode so I am able to see unicast/multicast/broadcast frames in tcpdump/Wireshark.  Except that it is 2.4Ghz only and 1T1R, it looks pretty good.

TheStigh

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 07:56:00 pm »

There is a lot of voodoo with wireless chipset support.  Typically the best thing to do is try it for yourself.  Unfortunate, but true.  At least these USB adapters are not very expensive - I have a bag full that do not support these type of network analysis tools. 

I have a:

$ lsusb
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 148f:5370 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT5370 Wireless Adapter

and confirm it goes into monitor mode in Kali2/updated:

$ iwconfig
wlan0mon  IEEE 802.11bgn  Mode:Monitor  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Tx-Power=20 dBm
          Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:off

Further, it has the all-too-unusual ability to support both monitor mode AND promiscuous mode so I am able to see unicast/multicast/broadcast frames in tcpdump/Wireshark.  Except that it is 2.4Ghz only and 1T1R, it looks pretty good.

Thanks Robert; I'll have some more exiting hours ahead of me I understand :)

vendforce

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 09:19:05 pm »

The sensible option is to buy an adapter that is supported on the  aircrack support devices page

Buying an adapter and hoping it will work is not a smart option
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 09:21:07 pm by vendforce »

TheStigh

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 12:23:03 am »

The sensible option is to buy an adapter that is supported on the  aircrack support devices page

Buying an adapter and hoping it will work is not a smart option

Hi vendforce,

I know, but I got it used for a few $$ :)
For skilled Linux/Unix users, this is probably a lot easier to get and understand, but for me coming from the PC world, are not used to the same procedures.

I was hoping this forum actually would tell me kind of yes, no etc rather than tell me to read more (as some already know the answers).
Don't misunderstand, I do indeed understand what you say and totally agree :)

I will then just wait and test (I have also a Broadcom BCM4352 which I will try to load up the b43 driver when I fully understand the procedure for compiling the compat drivers, now called Backports).

vendforce

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 10:57:05 am »

I was hoping this forum actually would tell me kind of yes, no etc rather than tell me to read more

That sounds lazy before you know it you will be asking where to get kernel drivers and how to compile and so on and so on
NOTE : I didn't say you are lazy it just seems like it

Example of yes the card works
http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=broadcom

But there's caveats with some cards and its not simple and straight forward of yes the cards works, for example read the link regarding your bcm4352 that's why you always need to do as much donkey work and googling as you can before you post questions

After all you wouldn't just walk into a car dealer pick a car out and buy it with out reading reviews or checking reliability history and taking a test drive 😁

madafakaz

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 05:22:58 pm »

4 years back when i got my first rt5370 it needed patching (i wrote a short tutorial: http://pastebin.com/3b0XQrud) but since then it's fully supported in newer distros. with this card, EP-MS150N i cracked first wpa2 networks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up