Aircrack-ng forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Aircrack-ng 1.7 release

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: monitor mode  (Read 3208 times)

MagicMan

monitor mode
« on: January 10, 2014, 02:51:50 am »

I am new to this software and im already having trouble.  I apologize ahead of time if this is dumb question, or if it has already been asked, i tried looking through the forum before posting to see if anyone else was having this problem but i might have missed it.

Im using the aircrack-ng 1.2 beta 2 and Im running Linux mint 15, and using 3.8.0 kernel

I just finished installing everything and following the getting started tutorial on the wiki, i was going to try and do an injection test, and i saw that i had to set my card to "monitor mode."  So i went to follow those instructions and when i got to the step "airmon-ng start wifi0" it stopped part way through and said "segmentation fault" which i thought was weird because i have 8 gigs of RAM and i doubt it could be using all of that, so i tried a few more times after rebooting my computer, each time i would either get a segmentation fault or it would sit there working for 10 minutes before i gave up.  then i thought i would run airmon-ng check, to see if maybe i should kill some stuff before i could continue and that would fix the problem.  Now i dont really know what running that command is supposed to look like but my screen went black and it had some white code running down the side, i couldn't read it, because it stopped again and gave me another segmentation fault message.  Again i rebooted and tried the same thing as while as just running the airmon-ng check kill command, the last time i tried to do anything it went to that black screen with the white code, and then it froze and i got a kernel panic, so i am at a loss and hoping someone else out there has some ideas for me.

Any help would be great, thanks.

misterx

• Aircrack-ng Author
  • Administrator
  • Aircrack-ng Author
    • Aircrack-ng
Re: monitor mode
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 06:03:02 am »

Airmon-ng saying segmentation fault is very unusual since it is a script. You might want to check if files are not corrupted (and the disk you used to install Mint) and check your ram.

jaimechiquita111

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 11:38:15 pm »

I readed what you as commented about your problem.
I just play with Linux. In my case i can see all the network intercafes with the command:
ifconfig
My wireless card is named by wlan0 wlan(zero)
So I can start the monitor mode by typing:
airmon-ng start wlan0
To stop it I push the reverse to the monitor interface:
airmon-ng stop mon0

Note: You can add more than one monitor mode to the same device by typing more than once the command:
airmon-ng start wlan0
To see the interfaces type again:
ifconfig
To stop them you need to stop one-by-one.

Good luck!

syworks

• Global Moderator
    • SYWorks Programming
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 11:44:51 am »

instead of using airmon-ng.. u can try using the following method

ifconfig wifi0 down
iwconfig wifi0 mode monitor
ifconfig wifi0 up

then try use
airodump-ng wifi0

if this method cannot.. maybe could be problem with drivers, i guess..
Pages: [1]   Go Up