Aircrack-ng forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Aircrack-ng 1.7 release

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TP-LINK TL-WN722N .. hardware version number vs. chipset number  (Read 54953 times)

Adel Madkour

Hi there,

I want to buy the TP-LINK TL-WN722N for using with Backtrack5 or Kali, but the problem is that they put different chipsets for the same model, and I want the one with the AR9271 chipset  because I hear it's compatible with BT5 and Kali.

So, How could I tell the chipset number from the hardware version number for that specific model ? or what hardware version of that model that is fully compatible with BT5 or Kali ?

Thanks in Advance

Edit by Mister_X: regular font.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 01:38:40 am by misterx »

misterx

• Aircrack-ng Author
  • Administrator
  • Aircrack-ng Author
    • Aircrack-ng
Re: TP-LINK TL-WN722N .. hardware version number vs. chipset number
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 01:37:48 am »

Check TP-Link website. And use regular font unless needed.

Adel Madkour

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 08:50:09 am »

No, they don't put this kind of information (i.e anything about the chipset, it's a war secret that can not be revealed)

What OS is Kali based off of, www.kali.org ?
I keep getting this question every time and I write linux , BackTrack... blah blah .. and it's always wrong answer  >:(

DarkAudax

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 01:14:30 pm »

Adel,

If you can get the FCC ID from the device you are considering then you can determine the exact chipset.

Links which allow you to take the FCC ID from a specific device and lookup the exact chipset in it:
https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/GenericSearch.cfm
http://transition.fcc.gov/oet/ea/

This tutorial may give you some ideas as well:
http://aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=compatible_cards

d.

kcdtv

• Experienced
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 03:16:26 pm »

Quote from: Adel Nadkour
No, they don't put this kind of information (i.e anything about the chipset, it's a war secret that can not be revealed)

Man, don't freak out !  ;D
Beyond what tell you mister X about the rules that applies to this industry ,  to see the model of a chipset you just need to open the device and read the name of the chipset, so the "war secret" would be anyway very easy to reveal...

I do not know from where you got this information about others chipsets than ar9271 in the TP-Linkwn722n and TP-Linkwn722c..
 anyway, take the first version and that it, i had it for a long time and iti is a ar9271, supported by aircrack-ng suite.
Are you sure you ara not confusing WN722N and WN422G ?
the first version of WN422G had a zydas, the second one ar9271... but thay are pretty similar actually, atheros bought zydas... right know it would be very hard to find the first revision, it is a long time since the version with ar9271 is out

TL-WN722N / wikidevi 

TL-WN422G v.2 / wikidevi

Adel Madkour

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 03:18:16 pm »

Thanks so much guys for your kind help , I really appreciate that

I was wrong when I said the adapter has different models with different chipsets, it's just 9271

But anyway, I've searched for it yesterday in a famous computer mall in my area and found that it's no more avaliable in my country  and is substituted by the wn727 which I'm sure  ::)  has different chips for each version (4 different versions) .. and the Alfa is available but unfortunatley very expensive (more than 3 times the tplink ) .. Now my only option is to check the hardware version on the back of he box (hopefully it's the right place) of the 727 and check the version but the problem is: which version(chipset model) should I look for among the 4 (or maybe more) chipsets that is fully compatible with Backtrack/Kali

Thanks again
Pages: [1]   Go Up