Aircrack-ng forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Aircrack-ng 1.7 release

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Compatibility question about AWUS036NHR V2 RTL8188RU Chipset  (Read 16923 times)

saeed

Compatibility question about AWUS036NHR V2 RTL8188RU Chipset
« on: January 19, 2015, 09:46:06 am »

Hi, I've been working with RTL8187 Chipset for a about 1 year using BT and Kali Linux. it works great as you all know and doesn't need to install drivers in order to use the Aircrack-ng features or Reaver WPS bruteforcing tool. it lacks the support for Wireless N and it has 1W max TX power so i decided to buy a new Alfa product which is more powerful. i found a new Alfa wireless adapter, AWUS036NHR V2, which is said to have 2W TX power and support wireless N so that caught me eyes but i don't know about its compatibility with Aircrack-ng suits or Reaver-WPS bruteforcing tool. sorry for asking about Reaver, which is a completely different product from Aircrack-ng suits, in here but i couldn't find any other place better than here with many Experienced users. so i'd appreciate if anyone couldn't answer my question about the compatibility of AWUS036NHR V2 with Aircrack-ng suits, Reaver-WPS bruteforcing tool and available drivers for Kali linux. Thanks in advance!

misterx

• Aircrack-ng Author
  • Administrator
  • Aircrack-ng Author
    • Aircrack-ng
Re: Compatibility question about AWUS036NHR V2 RTL8188RU Chipset
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 06:41:22 am »

I'm almost positive 2W is a marketing lie. It's the output power WITH the antenna.

r3gx

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 07:15:51 am »

I am surprised there aren't more replies.

I have ordered both awus036nh v1 AND awus036nhr v2, and they should be at my disposal by the end of this week. Why did I order two? I ordered the v2 without reading into it first and later realized it might not be the best card for kali. So I ordered the v1 a couple of days later.

I will try and remember to come back and give my review  after I've had some quiet time with the both of them.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 03:47:55 pm by r3gx »

open

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 08:22:03 am »

2W power is a common misconception (marketing lie), it is the card power plus the antenna plus something else.
The RTL8187 is the last of a kind, there are no other cards nor will be, with a higher output power.
Remember the rules of physics: higher is the transfer rate, lower is the transmission power, and reception sensibility is minor related.
That means, if you want to transmit at maximum distance/power, you need to stick to lower rates, and use 11b or 11g protocols (CCK/OFDM modulations).
If you want to transmit at maximum speed/rate, you need to give up on transmit power, come closer, and use 11n protocol (MCS modulations) or else.
Max transmission power together with maximum speed, are not for accessible to common users.

r3gx

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 02:27:42 am »

I wish I would have read up on this adapter before dishing out $26......

This adapter just came in today and it is already giving me issues.

**RUNNING IN KALI LINUX**

Airmon-ng:
    Interface   Chipset      Driver
     mon0      Unknown    rtl8192cu - [phy1]
     wlan1      Unknown    rtl8192cu - [phy1]

Airodump-ng mon0
     works fine except when assigning a BSSID and Channel.
     *e.g.* airodump-ng -c 1 --bssid xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx -w [file] mon0     
                 ^Even though there are clients connected to the Access Point(s) they won't show up.

Aireplay-ng -9 mon0
          finds and injects anywhere between 0 to 6 AP's.... "WTF?!".

Has anyone successfully installed the correct drivers for the AWUS036NHR on Kali Linux?
Instead of being an "unknown" chipset when running airmon-ng, does the chipset show up properly on your setup?

Somebody help please

misterx

• Aircrack-ng Author
  • Administrator
  • Aircrack-ng Author
    • Aircrack-ng
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 03:06:25 am »

chipset is JUST INFORMATION. It doesn't affect the capabilities of the card.

r3gx

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 03:37:58 pm »

chipset is JUST INFORMATION. It doesn't affect the capabilities of the card.

I've read through multiple forums and others seem to have the same issue too.

BUT THERE'S GOOD NEWS.
I have attached my new Yagi Antenna to this adapter and it is injecting and working PERFECTLY(on MY routers)!!!!
I DID NOT mess with the TX power settings. I didn't even set up the Yagi outside... it's right next to my computer inside my house with airodump-ng going through multiple houses and trees and showing GREAT signals!!!!

And so yes, you're right. The capabilities of the card aren't affected.

I guess I was just so used to my other adapter, the Alfa AWUS051NH v2(This card was good but not the best for injecting), that I forgot each card acts and behaves differently. They just need some TLC  ;D

I also have the infamous Alfa AWUS036NH on the way =)
I'll be ordering the Alfa AWUS036NHA in a short time after I've had some time with the AWUS036NH.
-Though I think I'll be starting another thread with a review on 5 different alfa adapters.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 06:46:59 pm by r3gx »

spiff

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 09:09:16 pm »

Any initial findings?   I fell into the same trap with the V2 and am looking for a card that will do better injection also.   That or someone that can help me install a better driver for this card.

Thanks!

madafakaz

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 07:03:08 pm »

did you test AWUS036NH and AWUS036NHA?

both should work much better than AWUS036NHR
Pages: [1]   Go Up